Saturday, September 25, 2010

Construction Paper

Tonight, my mind comes up blank. I have no words. Only a picture. And in this picture, it's a crystal clear night, with stars glittering in the sky like someone took dark blue construction paper and sprinkled glitter everywhere. The moon was pasted on the paper, a glowing hole in the sky in which I can see the other side.

On the other side, I see only possibilities. The could-be's stick out the most. You know, those ones with "What if?" tacked on in the front.

What if the stars were pink?
What if I was just a shadow, a presence you could only feel?
What if time stopped?
What if the sun really did move around the Earth?

But what good are possibilities, when there are no opportunities? There can be no "What if?" but only the "What is,"

The shadow of a paper tree with leafless branches rests on a dark green paper grass. A soft breeze is colored into the scene, and the whisper of the paper can be heard every where.

What if my whole life was just a dream, a distant painting on a once blank canvas, buried under paper soil?

My life is simply what it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment